
Fatimata Seye Sylla: Good morning. I'm Fatimata Seye Sylla and I am the Chairman of AFRALO. And I would like to invite our Chairman to come by my side, please. Welcome, everyone, to this leaders meeting of At-Large. We are going to start and do a roll call to make sure that everyone is present very quickly.

We are going to start with Beau. Thank you. Okay, we have Rudi, Jean-Jacques – I'm going to do it myself. Aziz, Dave, Roman, Matthias, Heidi, Seth, Fatimata, Olivier, Tijani.

Garth Bruen: My name is Garth Bruen.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Darlene, Dev Anand. Carlton. Andrés, Sergio, Sylvia, Sandra, Wolf, and George. So welcome, everyone. Before starting the presentation regarding the reports coming from different regions we are going to start to give the floor to Mr. Roman Pelikh who is the Applications Director of Information Technologies so that he gives us a presentation about web applications for ALSes. I'm going to give the floor to Mr. Roman.

Roman Pelikh: Thank you. Good morning, good morning guys. Today we'll do a quick overview of the community Wiki spaces; and by working with the Work

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Group, Work Team B, on some of the recommendations we put something together for the ALSes. And we'll go through really quickly what we've set up as a prototype as well as some of the Adobe rooms that we've set up; and we'll do a quick overview and open the floor for questions and answers.

If you guys have questions as I'm going through feel free to jump in and ask. We have about 20 minutes so I want to make sure I fit it in in the time to make sure we cover all of the items that we are here for today. So without any further delay we'll jump right into that. So for people that are participating remotely on the Adobe Connect I want to make sure that you guys are able to switch into the full screen mode to see the screen share a little bit better, and with that we will start.

So working with the Work Team B and taking some of their recommendations, we created a space in the community Wiki for the ALSes. The place where you can find them is at the main At-Large community Wiki under the "At-Large Structures." As you can see, hopefully you guys can see my cursor and follow me along.

In the At-Large Structures we set up five regional ALS pages, and as a prototype we set up the NARALO space. So I'm going to go over that real quick. So once we click on the NARALO space it takes us to the NARALO section of the Wiki at which point we set up as a sample, as



you can see, some of your ALSes will be listed with the links to them. Some of them are internal pages within the Wiki and some of them are actually external websites if you guys are hosting your own websites.

And this is the space where you guys will be able to from that point on build on your presence within the ICANN community Wiki. This is where you guys will be able to manage and populate content, will be able to bring people to. It's optional so any ALS can do what they'd like to. You can just simply link to your site that you're maintaining or you can utilize the Wiki functionality to build up your web presence.

One other thing that I would like to know is on each of the five regions we created the Adobe Connect rooms for you to use. You're welcome to use them. It's part of the ICANN normal Adobe Connect set up. You don't have to use it; this is a tool that we're making available to you guys to use for your ALS meetings, for any breakout sessions or anything else that you would like to do via web presence.

With that I'm going to jump in really quickly into the Adobe room that we set up for NARALO so you guys can see how that's set up. So this is an example of the room that is set up for each of the ALSes. As you can see, the layout has been set up for collaborative work. You guys can use the voice over IP functionality, you can use the web camera



functionality to do web meetings. You have a space to set up your agendas, you have space to set up the discussion notes.

One thing to note is that anybody who logs into this room has presenter rights; that means, anybody will be able to modify the agenda, start their camera, start their voice over IP communication so there is no need for the host to be present. That allows you guys to be able to schedule the events on your regional pages using the Google calendar or any other type of scheduling tool you would like to use to allocate when this room will be available for the use of a particular group to use.

I see Garth already joined the room, and as you can see, he was automatically promoted to presenter at which point he can start populating the agenda, he can chat, he can start his video conference. So there's five rooms available, one for each region, and within the regional leadership you guys can set up a mechanism for scheduling this room, how this room will be used. As I mentioned before, this is an option available to you. You don't have to use it but if you like, it's there.

So I'm going to switch back to the Wiki real quick. As an example we'll go to one of the ALS spaces that we set up. What we tried to do in the Wiki is if there is no external website for the ALS and you choose to use the Wiki, we tried to set up at least on the landing page of the ALS the



common structure. Therefore, when people are navigating at least they see the same type of content that's available.

As a guideline we would recommend doing that so there is some consistency of how the spaces are organized; and then you're welcome to modify the rest of the content how you see fit. But at least the areas like contact information, who it is, the basic information about the ALS, the structure we recommend keeping the same so people can reference to that fairly easily. And it won't introduce the confusion of "Why is it different on this page versus another page?"

So one of the other recommendations that came from the Work Team B is setting up a set of tools that you guys will be able to utilize, and what we've done is we created an area on the main At-Large workspace called a toolbox. And as you can see from the recommendations that are coming from the Work Group B, they're setting up a mechanism of how those tools will be introduced and how they will be selected and so on and so forth. I think you guys will get a little bit more information from the Work Team B on that.

An initial set of those tools, as we're having the training sessions within this San Francisco meeting, we created a guide for using the Wiki and this is one of the first things that we felt would be useful to you guys. There is a PDF document that you can review online or you have an



option of downloading it. It's a PDF document; it's a very simple, straightforward guide on how to use the Wiki. So this is one of the first tools that we made available, and as the Work Team B works on selecting other tools and whatnot you will see this selection grow a little bit.

Yes, so currently we have the English version available online. The guide went to translation and it will be available in Spanish and French within a couple weeks. Within a couple weeks it will be in the same space just in the different languages. So with that I would like to open the floor to questions and so you guys can cover any Wikis or Adobe Connects.

Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Fatimata Seye Sylla. Let me remind you that we have to repeat our names every time. Thank you very much for your presentation. This is really great. I really appreciate this tool. Dave will ask the first question.

Dave Kissoondoyal:

Thank you, Roman, I have a couple of questions.

Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Dave, introduce yourself, please.



Dave Kissoondoyal:

I am Dave Kissoondoyal from AFRALO. Yes, Roman, I would like to ask you about the Confluence Wiki – is there any part that can be public, any part that is only private to the At-Large members? This is my first question. And then the second question, that part which is public, is there any possibility that it could be connected like using Facebook Connect to go to the Facebook page of the At-Large? Thank you.

Roman Pelikh:

So there is a permission set available and what we envisioned is that the regional leaders will have access to editing the pages; and then the ALS members will have the ability to edit their pages. So there is a permission, there is a way to set up private pages. The way we'll be managing that on the front end – we'll work with the ALSes through the team, through the staff support to set up those permissions for the particular pages.

To answer the second part of your question having to do with Facebook, yes, there is a way to integrate and link to other external websites like Facebook. If you guys have seen, I think on the main ALAC we do have the link to the Facebook; I just don't recall which exact page that's on. I think it's on the main page, right.

I'll share as an example, you guys can see that...



Male: It's on atlarge.icann.org.

Roman Pelikh: Yeah, I think we have it on the Wiki so we'll double check. Yes, there is a way to link to Facebook or any other sites.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you very much, Roman. Now I'm going to give the floor to Cintra.

Cintra Sooknanan: Maybe I missed it but where could we enter the Adobe Connect room from the website? Did you show that or did I miss it?

Roman Pelikh: I'll go over this again. So from the main At-Large space, it's a couple of steps so it's not necessarily native from the At-Large space. But once you get to your region and you bookmark your region it'll be fairly easy. So we're going to At-Large Structures. In the At-Large Structures we're going to the Regional pages, which is as an example I used NARALO. And the first link underneath the title page is where the links for the Adobe rooms will be.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Fatimata Seye Sylla. Darlene, you have the floor.



Darlene Thompson: Darlene Thompson. Roman, I notice, I've just been flicking through some of our pages here and I notice some of them point to the fact sheets that we did up. I was hoping that all of them could point to the fact sheets. Is that easy to set up?

Roman Pelikh: We are working with the At-Large staff support team to populate that. As I said, we tried to use something common, so the fact sheet is what we used as a base to populate this.

Darlene Thompson: Darlene. I noticed that but not all of them do, so I'm hoping that all of them would point to the fact sheet because some of them are very sparsely populated.

Roman Pelikh: We'll work with the At-Large staff to make sure we figure out what the consistency level will be, and how we want to present the links outside. As I said, this was our first pass at it to show you guys.

Darlene Thompson: And it's a good pass. Thank you so very much.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Fatimata. Thank you. Heidi?



Heidi Ullrich:

Thank you, Fatimata. This is Heidi Ullrich. Darlene, just to answer your question yes, absolutely. For the four regions that have already have their showcases we will be referencing the fact sheets for that region. Some of the other things, the formats that we set out is that we wanted to have the representatives that have been indicated to us; if there was an email for the organization we put that in as well. We did not put any private emails in.

So we did it like a “Contact” initially. Then we did also what the RALO, the ALS, what their aims and goals were. We’d also like to work with all of the ALSes to get a group photo if possible, to have current activities... I mean eventually we’d like to have that updated regularly. So yeah, if you can think of any other information that you would like to have in the standard template then we will go ahead and add that to all the ALS pages. So if you could mention that to us now that would be great. Thank you.

Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Hong?

Hong Xue:

Thank you. I do have a question. I wonder whether the issue has been raised in the process of consultation. I appreciate efforts to use social media for outreach and in-reach, such as Facebook, Twitter is very good. I’m using them out of my country. The issue here is that those social media such as Facebook or Twitter are blocked in some countries,



and even Google Documents, Google Blogger and many Google services – hopefully not Gmail – have been blocked in some countries.

So I wonder whether the ICT Department would think of an alternative solution to address this issue. I know it's a difficult part. While we cannot prevent other people from using social media, just for the communities, the users, but if it's not accessible to some part of the world this is a big problem. If Facebook is blocked can we use LinkedIn? Just to open up a mine, thank you.

Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Thank you, Hong. Do you want to answer first? Maybe do you want to... I already have four people who want to intervene, so do you want to answer the question one-by-one or do you want to group the questions, sir?

Roman Pelikh:

I think the Chair was trying to raise something and I would like to give him an opportunity...

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

No, it's just a general question.

Roman Pelikh:

Okay. So I don't think, unfortunately we're not in control of the networks and the availability. We make the tools available similar to



the Google and the Twitters and the Facebook. Unfortunately we don't have any way of controlling, so it's most likely we're not going to get blocked. We're probably going to be blocked last out of the other social media. So if you are able to access our site, as I said, you're welcome to use that to socialize.

But I think it's important to note that this is not a mechanism for other outside activity other than related to ICANN. The idea is that this space is set up for ICANN work and not for any other political or any other regional outreach or whatnot.

Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Thank you, Roman. Only two minutes left. Do you want to add something, Matthias, and then we'll give the floor to Fouad – very quickly, Fouad – and Jean-Jacques, Dave... Oh, I didn't see you, I had my back to you. I'm sorry, I didn't see you, sir. Tijani, Olivier, and Dave. Half a second a person.

Fouad Bajwa:

Fouad Bajwa from APRALO. Roman, did you explore the idea of integrating the mailing lists into Confluence yet? Because sometimes many of us participate in other RALO lists as well, and there's so many lists going on at the moment, so a beautiful feature that we used in Confluence a couple of years back was that we could consolidate emails into Confluence. And the way to do that is, for example, like the At-Large Community link at the top had a mailing lists header.



So what happened was when you opened that page it pulls in the archives of all the mailing lists. So you could have the LACRALO list showing, NARALO, APRALO, and then you could have the ALAC list showing the emails so people can have one single view of what the discussions are happening around in the whole ALAC.

Roman Pelikh:

So let me briefly address that. So we looked at built-in functionality of the mail and we made a conscious decision not to integrate the mail into the Confluence Wiki itself. Part of the reason why we came up with this decision is we would be duplicating the functionality of the mailing lists.

So one of the workarounds that we thought of is that the mailing lists have HTML archives associated with them and it's fairly easy to embed into the pages. And as you guys have in the mailing list archives, we can work on setting up access to those mailing archives right through the Wiki. And this is the approach that we're taking – instead of integrating and moving away from the Mailman mailing lists and just piping them strictly into the Wiki, we figure there is already a way to represent the mailing archives through webpages that could be incorporated as a link or embedded pages, and this is the approach we could take.



So I'll work with Heidi to identify the lists that you guys would like to see and where they would be stored to ensure that we have that at least readily available through the community Wiki as well.

Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Thank you, Roman. I think we're going to change the way we proceed a little bit. We're going to listen to the questions because we are running late. We're going to listen to the questions and then we're going to have Roman answer all the questions at once, and the staff will help him out as well. Matthias and Seth will get a chance to talk. So Dave, Jean-Jacques, we're going to listen to your questions.

Dave Kissoondoyal:

You already answered part of my question but I'm going to ask the other. Since At-Large is the home of the individual internet users we want any tools that we have in our possession to be used for outreach. So my question is whether the public part of the website which was mentioned here can be search engine optimized or can we ourselves set up certain keywords that can be easily crawled by search engines? Because our objective is to get the maximum number of individual internet users to come to our website.

And the second section is about the mailing lists. Okay, so there's no functionality of mailing but is there any possibility that okay, we can pull or like ask people to subscribe to our newsletters which can go then to the function of the already-existing mail function?



Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you. Jean-Jacques?

Jean-Jacques Subrenat: Thank you very much, Fatimata. I would like to come back to what was said, and it was very important according to me. It's not a small population of the world population. Many people do not have access, more and more people do not have access to those social media at the internet level and at the world level. So I think it's our duty, it's our duty for ICANN and for the ICANN staff to make sure to find solutions, alternative solutions just like Hong asked for.

This is very complex, I know. I do not see the solution right away. But I think we have to work at it. This is our duty. And if all the technical solutions are not viable for reasons we do not understand – because of political control – we have to take note of it, make a note of it. But we have to go far and deep to try to find a solution.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you. Rudi?

Rudi Vansnick: Yes. Someone answered my question. Thank you very much.



Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you. So now let's go to Olivier.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: I don't have the information yet so let me come back to you in a while.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Okay. Tijani?

Tijani Ben Jemaa: Tijani. Dave asked if you have public zones and private zones and you said that you have authorizations. I hope that the authorizations are only for editing and changing. I hope you can have a public visit or else I'll be quite disappointed.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you. And now Dev.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: Thank you, Chair. This is Dev Anand Teelucksingh and thank you for the presentation. A question regarding the Adobe Connect sessions. One, if it is able to imbed your voice in the Adobe Connect to give the presentation, can the session be recorded so that it can be presented offline? And second question is while it's good for At-Large to have a past history, I think maybe for privacy reasons you would not want your ALS discussions shown to the next ALS. Is there a way to clear or reset the room after you've completed your session?



Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you. I'm going to give the floor to Olivier.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: This is my response to Hong with regards to using LinkedIn. There is an ICANN At-Large group in LinkedIn and I see that she is a member of it as well. So it would be great if we all maybe started using it. I think it would be good for everyone. Thank you.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you. I'm going to give the floor to Matthias, Seth, and Roman.

Matthias Langenegger: This is Matthias and thank you, Olivier. He's just mentioned what I wanted to mention to Hong, so thanks.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Very well. Seth?

Seth Greene: Thank you, Fatimata. Roman, regarding the Adobe Connect rooms there's been a bit of a debate on some of our mailing lists regarding the use of Adobe Connect with Linux systems. Would you please address that and just let us know how well you think it's going to be working? Thank you.



Roman Pelikh:

Sure. So hopefully I caught all the questions and I'll trace it back and answer all of them. I'll start with Seth's question on the Linux. Adobe made a lot of strides in trying to support Linux. They do have (inaudible) 10.10 supported. There is a lot of information on the mailing list that went through. I think Evan went through the actual Adobe contact to get his machine up and running; I think he sent the brief step-by-step instruction on how he was able to achieve this.

The challenge within the Linux distribution is that all of them are a little bit different and all of them have their own quirks, and it's a little bit different in the individual set-ups. We'll do our best to try to help and support and get the resolutions to that. There are basic minimum requirements needed for this to work. There is a current version of Flash that needs to be available; the 64-bit distributions have been having problems. There is a new Adobe Flash product, Flash² I believe, that's going to be coming up so Adobe is working to increase their cross-compatibility with other Linux distributions.

So we're monitoring that. They fairly constantly update their product and as I said, we'll do our best to try to support it. But you have to understand it's a best effort. We can't fix everybody's individual system and we're trying to rely on Adobe for that. So hopefully that answers your question.



So now to go back to an earlier question about clearing the sessions. There is a way to clear the sessions, clear the chat rooms and agendas. Once you finish the meeting the presenters have an ability to email the agenda or the notes or at least save them as a document and clear the chat rooms and whatnot.

To address the other question of being able to record the meetings for future presentations, the way the Adobe rooms are set up now, without having a support staff you won't be able to do that. Most likely if you are planning to record a particular session or whatnot you will know that in advance and we can work with you directly to figure out how to make sure that the sessions are recorded. We could use one of our internal Adobe rooms for that potentially or anything else, so that's another mechanism of doing that.

To go back I think Jean-Jacques had a comment and I completely agree with you on that. I think that we'll look at all the options that are available to us to make sure that our services are available on multiple networks and access. As I said, unfortunately we can't control every single network. If the country decides to take down the entire network there's nothing we can really do about it.

I'll give you a personal example. One of our staff lives in Egypt and was essentially cut off from our communications. We worked with him



directly to give him access through Europe, through a dial-up so he can keep in touch with us as well as he got a satellite phone as one of the back ways of communicating. It's one staff member, it's one mechanism of getting out, so we do our best at least to make sure we stay connected and do what we can to make sure the flow of information continues.

And as I said, I completely agree. We'll do what we can but there are certain areas where we just don't have the control and we won't be able to address that.

To go back to your question on optimizing the Google search and whatnot, you're able to put the comments and tags that are crawlable by the search engines. You're able to use any tools or link to any tools that you feel that you need. I think we can work with the ICANN staff to figure out if you need the mailing lists or to promote the mailing lists. Once you guys do that we can figure out the mechanism of how you would add additional people into the mailing list for the ALS or whatnot.

Hopefully I didn't miss anybody's question; if I did I apologize. And I'll be happy to answer it.



Fatimata Seye Sylla: I think you have answered all the questions except for the question that Tijani asked.

Tijani Ben Jemaa: I would like to have Christina here to hear my question. It is a question about the translation, the adequate translation, interpretation. We used the interpretation of Adigo for long and we now think that it is almost useless. The quality of the translation, of the interpretation is very, very bad. Sometimes we cannot understand what is happening on the other channel because of this quality.

I told Christina yesterday that it is better to use those translators that are very, very skilled and who are very, if you want, trained on our jargon, our acronyms, etc. She told me that there is a contract with Adigo, etc. I told her perhaps it is better to not have the interpretation by them rather than have very bad interpretation. So I want you to know that we really don't use it. If you want, there is a big harm when you use this interpretation. Thank you.

Roman Pelikh: So let me address that real quick. Thanks for letting me know; I'll address that with the vendor. We do have a contract with them. Unfortunately they actually built the technology to be able to do that on the fly. It's actually nothing, not necessarily the availability of translators per se. They're subcontracting the actual translation out to



another company; they are just providing the technology so we have a technology contract, not an interpretation contract.

I'll address the quality with the vendor and I would like to know through the staff if that's an issue and if we need to address it. So from what I remember when we started it we had a designated people that were constantly the same ones, so with initial time they actually learned the language and the acronyms and whatnot. So I know it can be hard sometimes, English not being the first language for me as well I understand how misinterpretation can happen as well as misunderstanding and whatnot.

So I'll address that with the vendor and see what we can do to improve those services. And if not, we'll look at what other options are available to us to do this. Unfortunately the meetings are A), they have an allocated budget for this, they have dedicated staff that is specifically trained for this that we try to reuse over and over. It's not necessarily that we have access to that staff during the 4:00 in the morning conference call depending on which region we're in.

So that's part of the issue that I see even with Adigo themselves. They might not have control of who is willing to work at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning at that time. They are based out of the US and as I said, they are a technology provider; they're not necessarily the skilled provider



for the interpretation services. But as I said, I'll try to address that with them to make sure that you guys are satisfied with the quality of the translation as well as ensuring that we have at least the same dedicated set of people doing the translations themselves.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you very much, Roman.

Roman Pelikh: Thank you very much, guys.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Bye-bye. Well, without losing any more time let's continue with our program. We've taken a few extra moments with Roman but I think it was worth it to get those clarifications.

The next issue is a presentation on regional report activity. We only have ten minutes for this and five regions. Each region therefore will have two minutes to make its report. We are experts and I'm sure that we can accomplish this task. Who would like to begin? AFRALO? You have two minutes.

Aziz Hilali: After the Cartagena meeting we had three teleconferences to follow-up on the main issues discussed by AFRALO. On the item of interim report of Working Group on the Geographic Regions revision, a group of



(inaudible), AFRALO has been formed to prepare a draft to be submitted to AFRALO ALSes, commented on and approved. The final comments have been sent from the public comments to ALAC to be considered in its own statement.

About the participation in the At-Large Improvements work teams, several members of AFRALO participated actively in the various work teams and made the recommendations.

About the JAS, an update was given to our members about the work performance of the Working Group in each of the monthly teleconferences by the AFRALO representative.

And about the Draft Plan 2005-2011, the Strategic Plan, AFRALO submitted its comments on the Draft Strategic Plan in which it indicated that in addition to using commercial activities further actions should be undertaken in each area of work to make the strategy more action-oriented.

The budget of fiscal year 2011-2012 has been prepared to implement two important activities that could be organized by AFRALO. We plan to organize a training and outreach program for AFRALO ALSes during the next ICANN meeting in Dakar, Africa. Also, we plan to organize a



workshop at the next IGF to be held in Nairobi between the 27th and 30th of September.

About the application, just one minute. About the application of new ALSes, we had three applications. FORCAS: because we have multiple inquiries into this application- What?

Fatimata Seye Sylla: You have to stop. Time's over.

Aziz Hilali: Just ten seconds, okay? About the application of the Ministry of Information of Benin it was rejected, and about the Study Group on the use of Names for Countries & Territories, we have appointed-

Fatimata Seye Sylla: We will read the rest of the report in the Wiki. It's already in the Wiki. I think that NARALO is ready? NARALO, are you ready?

Beau Brendler: Sure, we're ready. Oh, you're going to do it? I do, yeah, but I was just going to be a bit more freeform about it.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: It's time.



Beau Brendler: What?

Darlene Thompson: Darlene Thompson. NARALO has-

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Your seconds are going to go, yeah?

Darlene Thompson: NARALO has members on each of the four Working Teams and we were able to meet in San Francisco and to present. We have members in key roles throughout the At-Large Policy Development Process, helping to drive issues such as registrant rights, bringing good sense to the New gTLD processes, and holding ICANN accountable for enforcement activities.

We have submitted a range of budget requests for NARALO to increase the visibility, participation and outreach. Several members of NARALO have participated in GNSO reform by supporting the candidate Consumer Constituency, which is on track to have its charter approved in April. We have been active in the development of strategic outreach proposals that have become of our submission to ICANN.



We have helped to drive ALAC support of the IGF commentary on politically-motivated internet disruption in Egypt, and we have worked very hard on the showcase and hope everybody enjoyed it on Monday.

[background conversation]

Beau Brendler: Yes, just one thing to add. We had a very successful internet Town Hall event last night at CBS Interactive. We had over 80 people. It was co-sponsored with the Non-Commercial Users Constituency and EPIC, so it's very nice to be working closely with organizations like that and putting on a very well-attended event that was actually about a mile away from here. So thank you.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you, NARALO. You still have a few seconds but if you're finished we can go to the next region.

Heidi Ullrich: A request for NARALO, the ten seconds remaining, if you could decide who's going to get the Vint Cerf poster to take back home to your ALS. Just right behind you we have-



Fatimata Seye Sylla: Or you could do a lottery system to see who would win. Thank you, thank you NARALO. So two minutes have gone by. EURALO, LACRALO – which other region? EURALO? Two minutes.

Wolf Ludwig: Well, I would suggest I just try to upload our report to the workspace. It didn't succeed probably but it exists in a written form. There's only one point I would like to stress: it's engagement in EURALO in the annual organization and programming of the European Dialog of Internet Governance. This became a major tool for outreach for our Regional At-Large Organization.

All the rest of our engagements over the last couple of weeks you can read through the report. Thank you very much for your attention.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Wow. Thank you very much, EURALO. That was really very, very high-speed. Okay. Yes, Dev.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: Thank you. Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Secretariat. Since January we have had sub-regional calls; one call for the Latin American ALSes, one call with the Caribbean ALSes. I'm pleased to see that this has resulted in improved participation from LACRALO in several aspects.



We have contributed to the Strategic Plan, the SWOT-C analysis, financial year '12 budget submissions, and also in the participation in the At-Large Improvement Work Teams. And let's see what else I could say... Oh, there's been discussion regarding the quality of the email list translations and there's been improvements proposed by At-Large staff; and we had a good discussion with that staff in San Francisco and it was done very well. And I want to say that's pretty much it. Thank you very much.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Wow, bravo. Matthias?

Matthias Langenegger: I'd like to mention that the speakers should please speak close to the microphone. We have been informed by the interpreters that it's difficult to understand. Thank you.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you. Have we finished? APRALO? LACRALO went, now it's APRALO.

Andrés Piazza: We have been for almost a year developing a process with the Commission in order to try to modify some internal bylaws of LACRALO, and this is an important goal of the two officers. We would like to achieve this goal before we end our period. This has something to do with the participation clause and some requirements for participation,



and also other issues, terms, mandates for the officers and the ALAC members.

But I think this is something to stand out also from LACRALO last year, and I hope if we succeed that our example could be useful for the other RALOs if they wish to use it. Thank you.

Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Thank you very much. We still have a few minutes; does anyone wish to ask a question or obtain some clarification? We have one minute remaining.

Hong Xue:

We have the following report; the written one will be uploaded to the website by our Secretariat. First of all, APRALO has received new applications for At-Large Structures. We've approved one new At-Large Structure from Azerbaijan in Central Asia. This is our very first one in that region. And another application which is from Pacific Islands is now being processed by ALAC.

And yesterday we received a very new application by Hong Kong by a group of Hong Kong young men, it's very healthy; and also there will be another application from Pakistan to be an At-Large Structure, a very healthy development for our organization. Going back to outreach, I guess the Madame Chair put me in the very last reporting because



we're going to have an APRALO showcase in Singapore parallel to our ICANN meeting there. And I call for all of you to present there, support us and guide us.

Okay, going back to policy, we have been doing a couple of policy issues: of course IDN, our favorite, especially on IDN Variant management; and on gTLD key issues, particularly with respect to our GAC scorecard. And of course our new pending At-Large Structure from Pacific Islands had submitted a very long document on how to reform ICANN geographical regions. They are suggesting kind of a cross-regional chapter, SIG as we heard yesterday.

And also APRALO submitted budget requests. Did that use up my time? Yes, okay, that's all. Thank you.

Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Thank you very much, Hong. That was very enriching and very good that you were the last region to present. We hope all those things will come true.

Let's now move to the next point, the basic documents of the ALSes. We are distributing a starter kit for the ALS representatives and we will be looking at it, and with the intention of validating it. Let's take some time to read it or maybe somebody on the staff can present it?



Matthias Langenegger: This document was originally discussed in the Cartagena meeting and we then discussed it again during the recent phone call. And we've just made a few adjustments to the text to include a note of the monthly regional calls and to include a reference to the regional operating principles and procedures, and Memoranda of Understanding.

So it's the same document that we've reviewed during the last call and we haven't actually endorsed it, so I was hoping that perhaps during this meeting we could endorse the document and include it in our procedures. Thank you.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you, Matthias. Jean-Jacques?

Jean-Jacques Subrenat: Thank you, Fatimata, I am Jean-Jacques. It's not related to the content; I think the content is excellent. It's just a more general remark. I think it would be very interesting if ALAC could send it to the Committee for Public Participation and to the ICANN Board because I think it's very clear and something that's very good for the user, something that should be shown elsewhere for other purposes, especially to the Committee on Public Participation.



Fatimata Seye Sylla: That's an excellent suggestion, I think.

Rudi Vansnick: One further comment. When I was just looking at Google, trying to find the right page of the EURALO Wiki, you're getting a lot of inputs that are quite old. Are we going to solve this very quickly or is this going to be an archive in which no one will find the last updated document anymore?

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you, Rudi. Matthias?

Matthias Langenegger: Actually we could have a quick discussion after this meeting so you can show me what page you were referring to. Thank you.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Heidi wishes to respond.

Heidi Ullrich: Thank you, Rudi. As you may know that we have recently updated a lot of materials on the Wiki including the Working Groups, the Summit page, as well as broken links on all of the RALO pages. But it's also up to the RALO officers to update those pages. You do have editing rights so feel free to edit that. I was just looking at the EURALO homepage as well and I've seen for example it still says "New" under the EURALO flyer. So those things, yes, feel free to go in and update as well.



Rudi Vansnick: Thank you, Heidi and Matthias. But I'm a bit more concerned about the fact that we have old links sitting somewhere that are pointing to old pages, not those in the Wiki but in the previous At-Large website which is still available.

Heidi Ullrich: Actually again, please do show us that because we just went through and we took all of the SocialText Wikis, we put them into Confluence. So if you do see extras please let us know that. And that is please for all RALOs. We have a temp working with us for the next week or two so if you could do that in that time period that temp could fix those links.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you. Are there other suggestions? I think Jean-Jacques suggestion could be considered an action item. Are you all in agreement? Are there other questions or can we adopt the document as it is? Yes? Not everybody says yes. Yes? So it has passed.

And now the next issue is the review of the needs for minimal participation in the ALSes. Matthias?

Matthias Langenegger: The review of the minimal participation requirements and the comparison between the different regions, and perhaps a discussion to



highlight problems with participation and how they can be addressed across the regions. And you find linked to the agenda there is a Google document which shows you all the participation requirements according to the regional bylaws and operating principles. So it gives you a sense of the current rules in place and also the possibilities to modify those rules and to enhance them.

I would suggest that perhaps somebody from the North American region could just give a quick overview of the North American rules because they're the most advanced at this point.

Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Yes, can NARALO take the floor and answer that question? It looks like you are a model for us.

Beau Brendler:

Well, in the sense that we- I mean in one particular sense we do accept individual members. We try to be very inclusive. We don't have as many people, we haven't done as much outreach perhaps as we should have but in terms of having unaffiliated members, we internally have asked historically people to take the responsibility for representing those unaffiliated members. The last term it was me and now it's Eric Brunner-Williams, and I think you just have to be very conscientious of giving those people a voice and trying to develop communications systems between yourself and those members so they feel like they're part of it.



But if you're talking about ways to specifically remove an ALS, we had a situation with that recently and I think the rule is up there: if you don't vote in three consecutive NARALO elections or contribute a comment on ICANN policy the ALS loses its voting rights and active status. And we just recently removed an ALS for that reason, and so it's important to have the rule on the board or in the books so that you can enforce it when you need to. Does that help?

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Yes, I think it's very useful and very good. Darlene, you would like to add something?

Darlene Thompson: Yeah, just a couple very small additions to that. For our unaffiliated members, we kind of treat them as a quasi-ALS, so when it comes to voting time they actually do get a vote just like an ALS would. So that's how we try to encourage participation that way. And when Beau says "remove," we don't actually remove ALSes because that's up to the ALAC, and we would have to apply to ALAC to actually remove an ALS. But as that paragraph states, they don't actually get- It's not counted against quorum so that we can actually still have quorum if they haven't voted or haven't participated in the list as per that paragraph.



Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Thank you. This is much clearer now because my question regarding the eradication of an ALS was the unaffiliated members. I was wondering what is the difference? Some members who are not ALS have just about the same rights. If someone doesn't vote is that person not going to be a member anymore? So that's what I'm wondering about.

Second point regarding your model, you have a very good model I believe. Maybe at our level we could look at our specificity. But in our region we're not always able to connect and there is sometimes a delay in order to vote. If it's a very short delay we can be sometimes stuck to vote on time in our region. That's specific to us. Tijani?

Tijani Ben Jemaa:

Thank you, Fatimata, Tijani here. I remember that since Cairo or Mexico City we talked about this issue, how to be able to stimulate participation and avoid having an ALS not doing anything and not participating in the process. I do remember that there was a lot of resistance to any type of sanction. The tendency was to encourage instead of sanction.

I see that NARALO is able to punish in a certain way some people. That might be good after a while, after trying for several years of doing a lot of outreach, if we're not able to have a contributing ALS I think there should be a sanction. They should pay the consequences. But at ALAC



we were not doing any sanctions and we were trying to do more and more outreach so that more and more people would participate.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Yes, thank you, Tijani. Sylvia?

Sylvia Herlein Leiti: This is Sylvia speaking. We at LACRALO are working seriously on the principles of participation or engagement. We've found that we faced many problems, especially on monthly teleconferences as regards the quorum. For over a year and a half we have been working on this and we want to determine the true participation criteria. We not only speak about voting but also about people, or we are focusing on ALSes so that they can participate in the lists and we engage on working teams because we do want to see engagement in policy decisions.

We are working on this. We have not yet finished. I expect that for the Singapore meeting we will be able to submit our position. Thank you.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you, Sylvia. Hong Xue.

Hong Xue: Thank you, Chair. Minimal participation in APRALO is a big issue. I do share the concern of all the other colleagues. As Sylvia kindly presented just now, quorum has become a big concern in APRALO for our monthly



conference call. Previously we required a quorum to be one-third of ALSes, and we have more than 23 ALSes which means there should at least be seven or eight ALSes present. However it was very hard for most of the time there were only four to five ALSes.

For that reason we have to change the bylaw to lower the number of requirements. Now the quorum is five ALSes. Even that very low criteria is very hard to reach on some of the conference calls. This is a very big issue. So I guess we do need to either discipline those ALSes or have some further sanction on them, but I'm fully aware of how sensitive it is, especially this section on voting rights. I do remember an At-Large directed voting process, especially in APRALO. One of the ALSes sort of complained because they changed their contact person and so of course they changed their emails on the mailing list during the process of voting.

Of course there's no way for the new colleague person to receive the notification of voting credentials. However, the new person was complaining. He asked to vote even after the voting has been closed. Oh well, okay, they all blame other systems. So okay, this is a big issue, this is a big problem. So minimal requirements, we do need to develop a policy and I hope with some coordination. Maybe this could exemplify this. It looks very good. Thank you.



Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you, Hong. Yes, perhaps this can be the last intervention. Be short please, Dave. Thank you, Carlton.

Carlton Samuels: Thank you, Chair. Carlton Samuels here. There is a real problem with participation but here is the thing: how do you sanction volunteers? How do you sanction volunteers? That is the issue. There are a couple of things you have to balance. First of all, I would not want to be in a situation because somebody shows up; it robs me of my rights to participate effectively. That's the first thing.

Secondly, I don't understand how sanctions are going to improve participation because if they don't show up on the first day and you punish them – punish, and I use the word “punish” advisedly – then I doubt if they'll show up the second day because after all, they are volunteering their time.

So to my mind the challenge is how not to disassociate those who are able and willing to volunteer and give their time from effective participation and policymaking in ICANN. That is the challenge, and I don't believe it is going to be expel them or not. That is not going to happen. I think we have to put our minds to figuring out how we make those who are there continue to have a voice and not be disenfranchised because somebody else didn't show up.



Fatimata Seye Sylla: Very well said, thank you very much. I see a lot of hands – Edmon and also Darlene, Andrés. You have half a second. You have let’s say 30 seconds each and I’m serious.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: Thank you, Fatimata. Dev Anand Teelucksingh, LACRALO Secretariat. Actually my question, and just to echo what Carlton said, I don’t think I could add more to that. But just a quick question regarding the unaffiliated members. How is it that... This is a question I’ve been trying to figure out. How is it that the representative for the unaffiliated member can claim he has consulted with all the unaffiliated members and arrived at the decision to say “Okay, the unaffiliated members support this position or vote this way” or whatever? Do you all have a special ALS conference call or call? That’s it.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you. Let’s listen to all the questions. Edmon?

Edmon Chung: This is Edmon. Just in response to what was said, I think punishing is probably not the right approach as well and I agree to that. I guess a couple of things. One is a quorum and voting rights is pretty important. I guess when an ALS doesn’t participate for an extended period of time, that should be addressed as well. But once they come back, once they



suddenly resurface I think the voting rights should immediately be reactivated. I think that's probably a good approach.

In other organizations that I've worked with, volunteer organizations, that's the case. I mean because you need to reach a quorum and if somebody is not participating all the time it hurts the whole organization; but once they resurface, if they could immediately have that right back then that should work.

The other thing I want to bring up is that it's really up to us around this table to really get them interested to participate. It is a tough job; I've been working on it for almost the last decade now, and I guess all of us around... And we just need to find more issues that are relevant to those organizations. ICANN is not always, the issues here are not always relevant to them and that's why they choose to not participate as actively I guess. But we need to figure out that relevance.

Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Thank you, Edmon, very good point. Andrés?

Andrés Piazza:

Between Carlton and Edmon they said almost everything. I just want to point out that maybe it would be acceptable, some rule that could be... For example in LACRALO we have this situation. Some ALSes not participating could affect quorum so using participation as a way of



excluding an ALS from some right during a short period of time is very justified just in order to protect quorum or in order to protect decisions. Because if you have for example a 50% rate of participation and you need to modify bylaws, and bylaws require 66% you are not able to do that. So in those cases maybe you could have some rule enabling...but not punishing and absolutely nothing to do with discouraging them from participating in their amount of time.

Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Okay, thank you, Andrés. I think the NARALO can provide some answers if you have some? Thank you.

Darlene Thompson:

Just to address things, sorry, Darlene Thompson. Dev asked about do we have conference calls for the individuals so they can get together and try to decide things. Unfortunately no, we don't have it together that well, but I can tell you right now that are individuals are a very strong group of people and if their rep were to vote contrary to what they think there would be major (smacking sound) upheaval and we would hear about it very quickly.

And also to address what Carlton was saying, we do not punish those that do not participate. It's strictly if they have not participated in a year, not just the first day, in a year then we take them out of quorum so that we can have quorum. And as soon as they come on back they're back in. They're back.



Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Thank you, good enough. Well, I think that we're going to close this topic. We had a lot of ideas heard this morning. I think that all the regions are going to be inspired and motivated to understand how to deal with those issues. We only have five minutes left I'm afraid, and if we can do more we will. The review of the individual membership, I'm going to give the opportunity to Matthias to take the floor to explain to us what it is all about.

Matthias Langenegger:

Thank you, Fatimata. This is Matthias. This was added to the agenda by decision of the Regional Secretariats during the last teleconference call in preparation for this meeting, and I believe that it was Wolf Ludwig who suggested that this be added to this agenda.

It's an issue that's been discussed by several RALOs. It was already implemented by NARALO and it's part of their Memorandum of Understanding with ICANN which puts them in a separate category from the remaining RALOs. It's an addition to the Memorandum that the other RALOs do not have. They've had it in their bylaws ever since they were created but none of the other RALOs actually implemented this possibility.



So it is currently the European Regional At-Large Organization who is trying to come up with the bylaw modifications to implement this process into their bylaws and to be able to add individual members who are not part of an ALS. And the reason why it's on this agenda today is to see whether there are other RALOs that are interested in this possibility, and to see and to learn from the RALOs who are working on this or who have already implemented this into their bylaws, and to see what we can learn from them. Thank you.

Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Thank you very much. I hope you all understand the issue. At the regional level, do we want to think about the opportunity to have individual members become members of our RALOs without becoming ALSes? That is the original issue. Dave, Aziz?

Dave Kissoondoyal:

Dave Kissoondoyal, AFRALO. I think it's a good idea since from the early discussions we have noticed that okay, we are getting problems with the quorum. So to counter the prevention of quorum it's a good idea to say okay, all the RALOs do go through the individual membership. Thank you.

Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Thank you. Aziz?



Aziz Hilali: Yes. I would like to say that regions do represent ALSes who do represent a community of users. If we go to individual membership, I'm not against it but we have to think that they shouldn't be at the same level regarding participation, regarding voting rights. Why? Because you cannot compare someone who represents an entire community of 300 people, 1000 people, with one person, one individual. And also regarding AFRALO, we have trouble accepting that the ALSes that do represent those communities, not-for-profit communities sometimes are being refused. There was an ALS which was a commercial entity and it was rejected.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you. Tijani then Sergio.

Tijani Ben Jemaa: So, it's mostly AFRALO speaking. I'm not against the individual membership but we need rules, and I think the RALOs are doing well. They are thinking about it in good terms. They are looking at ALSes with lots of different individuals, an ALS made of individuals would be a good idea according to me. Individual membership can be dangerous.

We have to have rules and each region must decide on what is good for their own region. It shouldn't be a general, worldwide rule. NARALO already works in a certain fashion, EURALO is thinking about it. Each RALO should think about the best solution. Of course it would be good



to have a status, a general status, worldwide status but everybody would have to agree on it.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you, Tijani. I am for cultural diversity. Olivier? Okay, so Sergio... I thought earlier you wanted to say something but I'm going to let Sergio speak.

Sergio Salinas Porto: Thank you, Chairwoman, I will speak in Spanish. During a long time we have been discussing this topic within the RALO and I think my colleagues within the region know my position very well. I am really convinced that we have to protect the individual, the collective individual against the individual in itself. And when I say this I mean when we work, the ones who work in the regions, in the different regions, are ALSes with people discussing within each ALS.

So I think that taking into account what my colleagues have said before, somehow this might be dangerous; the thing of having individuals standing alone, free individuals might be dangerous. I think that it would be better even for the ALSes to have other new ALSes, to have a group of them, a group of people; but at the same time if we had an individual who wanted to participate in the RALO that person should be welcome. But then that person should have the capacity of being part of a nonprofit organization or a non-governmental organization, and if he can be part of an organization he should be part of an ALS.



Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you, Sergio. Beau, you have the floor.

Beau Brendler: Thank you. With all due respect to cultural differences and geographic differences I am baffled by the use of the term “dangerous” when it comes to including individuals in the decision-making process. If we’re looking for inclusivity, if we’re looking to break down barriers for people to participate in ICANN – dangerous? How? How?

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you. Olivier?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Fatimata, this is Olivier. Throughout the week and especially even this morning, well this morning I went to the fellowship breakfast and I explained what we were all about. Earlier in the week I spoke with many newcomers at ICANN and every time I’m asked “Oh, but At-Large does not allow for individuals to join. This is why I’m not joining, because I’m not a member of any ALS and there is no ALS in my country, and it is very difficult to create an ALS in my country so I can’t take part.”

So I think we should take that into account, and certainly the line that we have taken with Wolf has been one where we’re working to get



individual members involved. But I also agree that there are dangers associated with this and so it has to be done in the correct way so as not to allow for a capture of processes to take place. And I'm aware that NARALO has a system which they are following which has taken that into account, and EURALO will be taking that into account as well; and I hope that the other regions will seriously be looking at this. Thank you.

Fatimata Seye Sylla:

Thank you, Olivier. Maybe other regions will come with their own specificities. I heard something that Tijani said, something very interesting and a very good idea from Tijani. Individual members could join something which would be like an ALS; they could join together and become an ALS. Let's talk about that in our specific regions and let's take that into account. Hong, you have the floor now.

Hong Xue:

I have no objection to having individual memberships. My thought was to the wise Chair about the possibility to add individual members to APRALO and exactly what Tijani and other colleagues mentioned about that – the individuals could group up and be treated as an At-Large Structure to prevent the consequence of capture.

And actually I strongly encourage those capable and interested individuals to join RALOs. They are really interested in the At-Large issues and they can participate very actively. And like some of the At-Large Structures who filed an application, well, and later they lost



interest – it's very interesting. They should be aware that when they file the application they've an obligation to participate.

I think we should link up this issue with the previous agenda item – minimum participation. If they don't have the interest they should be decertified or withdraw from the RALO. Okay.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you, Hong. Thank you very much. You're going very far, you're very passionate and this is very positive. Beau and Seth, we're going to have to stop there. I think Beau you have just a few seconds.

Beau Brendler: Thank you. I would rather have one passionate individual whose energies can be directed than ten ALSes who don't participate.

[applause]

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Okay. Thank you. Seth?

Seth Greene: Thank you, Fatimata. I simply want to point out that in the Improvements project, Work Team B that is working on ALS participation is considering making a proposal to the ALAC that will call



for consistent rules across the board regarding just this – the way in which individuals can or cannot become involved in a RALO; in fact, I should say *can* become involved in a RALO. Thanks.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you very much.

Carlton Samuels: Can I just say something on that?

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Oh yes.

Carlton Samuels: This is Carlton Samuels. I would be cautious about having what they call “consistent rules” for RALOs. I would be cautious about that. What I would agree to is a framework, but I would not accept any hard and fast rule about single person facilitation. The reason for people to participate is not a shoebox, and this constant talk to centralize – I don’t like it and I’m going to oppose it on principle. We will not have rules for that. I will oppose it on principle.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you. Olivier and then Heidi.



Olivier Crépin-Leblond: I would agree with Carlton. This is a bottom-up organization, not a top-down. The RALOS are independent; they're independent to do whatever they want to do according to what their members want and it's not for ALAC to tell them what to do or to define rules. Defining a framework? Well, okay, it's like having a goalpost when you play football – you go from one end to the other end of the field, fine. But starting to reduce this freedom is not something which I – and I'm here saying it as a personal note because I haven't consulted with any of my colleagues – but it's not something which I would like to see. Thank you.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you. Heidi?

Heidi Ullrich: Yeah, just to follow up on what Carlton is saying, yes, of course each of the RALOs have their different operating procedures and their MOUs, so of course we wouldn't want to have those changed or forced to change to fit consistent rules. So I would agree with the framework approach as well.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you very much.

Carlton Samuels: Thank you, Heidi. Thank you very much.



Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you, Heidi. I think we have exhausted the possibilities of this issue. We're going to see how we can organize our bylaws and internal rules. We are practically finished. Is there some really, really important issue that you need to raise, Olivier?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Fatimata, and it's Olivier, and I'm sorry if we're running out of time. But I wanted to just bring this into the arena, and perhaps we don't need to deal with it right now but it's a warning of a future decision which we're going to have to make.

Scott Pinzon has spoken to us a few days ago with regards to outreach and with regards to making available all sorts of audio/video material etc., that we could make use of. One of the things that he's doing are what he calls podcasts; they're recordings of interviews, of the views of people and so on. And the first one was one which was done of me but the next ones... We decided that there should be in fact a regular one, and it should be a regular one with different ALSes.

So you could basically have an ALS that can talk about what they do in their part of the world, and that would be not only available to us but it would be actually on the website as a means of outreach and to show the diversity that we have. So the problem that we have now, all of us,



is to find out a way to select that ALS. Do we put the names in a hat and we choose them? I just wanted to throw this on the floor for you to decide – how would you find the ALS? Who would be worthy or is it just by luck?

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you, Olivier. I'd like to ask Heidi to speak. She has another issue to raise.

Heidi Ullrich: Okay, thank you. I just want to mention, actually this will segue nicely into what I'd like to discuss, and that is the transition for the regional support. As you all know we're going to be losing our Matthias to Google starting this next week, so Friday is his last day. So we have Nick Ashton [Hart] to thank for that, it will be the old team again which is, I mean I'm very pleased for him and I'm pleased about that for Nick and Matthias and the future of the internet, cause I think it's in safe hands with both of them and with you.

[applause]

Heidi Ullrich: But in the transition, so as of basically Monday we are in a transition period. So in that transition period we're going to be having Seth and Gisella work with you. Now, several of the RALOs already know this but for those of you that don't, Seth will be taking three of the RALOs –



that's going to be APRALO, LACRALO and NARALO, so you're in very good hands with Seth. And then Gisella will be taking on the EURALO and the AFRALO regions given her language skills, so that's going to be through the period of let's say June, okay?

Cause what we are doing is we're looking for two new positions – one is the At-Large Regional Coordinator/Manager, that's Matthias' full position. We're actually interviewing for that position now. We're hoping to have that person in place by June at the latest. We're also looking for an At-Large Coordinator. Now, that position has not been filled for the last year, year and a half, so Matthias has actually been doing two jobs during the last 18 months. So again, we're interviewing for that position and we're hoping to have that person in place by June at the latest as well.

Now when I go on leave as of May I'll be away for four months, so in the interim Seth will be taking over the ALAC and the Executive Committee from between May and the end of August. So again, David Olive and I as well as the At-Large team have been working extremely hard to ensure that there is no reduction in support. We want to have at least the same level if not a higher level because we're going to have another fulltime person coming in. So that's what we'd like to do.



Also with the showcase Olivier just mentioned and the ALS pages, that's going to be Marilyn Vernon whose going to be working on that. So she will actually be contacting each of the ALSes to update their ALS pages, to get the information that you'd like to have on each of those pages; and she'll also be working on the ALS showcase. Thank you.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you, Heidi. Jean-Jacques?

Jean-Jacques Subrenat: Thank you very much-

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Should I be speaking in English?

Heidi Ullrich: No, the translator was just speaking in French on the English channel.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Okay, Evan?

Evan Leibovitch: Oh, I thought you were calling Jean-Jacques. I just wanted to follow-up on what Olivier was saying about the podcasts, and I would suggest that priority for the next ALSes to speak on that should be the ones that would give us at least one podcast in every one of the languages first before going on. So perhaps that might be the priority, to make sure



that the next podcast we do is French, Spanish, Arabic, etc., so we can at least have one in each of the languages about what it means to be an ALS before going on to doing further ones. I just suggest that that be the priority.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Good point. Jean-Jacques?

Jean-Jacques Subrenat: ...what Heidi has presented to us as the next few months. I really want to commend the staff support for ALAC for the way all of this is unfolding. I've seen examples over the past three years or something of even Board Committees being stranded for not days, sometimes months, and the way you have self-organized with your superiors, with the leadership in ICANN, with the community is quite remarkable. I want to thank you for that.

Fatimata Seye Sylla: Thank you. If there are no more comments I think I'd like to thank everyone for this very enriching meeting with excellent comments and exchanges. And I would declare this session to be closed.

[End of Transcript]

